Digital Marketing In Nigeria
DIGITAL MARKETING IN NIGERIA
Digital marketing is a means of using online technologies to disseminate information about a product/service to a target audience. It is also used as an easy means of creating awareness about services to be rendered to consumers.
These online technologies involve mobile phones, laptops, tablets, computers, etc. Digital marketing can make use of the internet as it allows the availability of a connection between marketers and consumers.
In our daily life, digital marketing is used as a means for daily marketing which has made marketing more enjoyable.
As technology advances, the increase in internet users hits a rise as they have access to websites, blogs, emails through the use of online technology.
The use of ads also becomes the best way of promotion as it is found on almost every website and social media platform. Some of the digital marketing platforms are as followed Google, Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo! and many more.
BRIEF HISTORY ABOUT DIGITAL MARKETING
Marketing boards were established in Nigeria during the British Colonial government which was after the end of the Second World War in the 1940s.
Digital marketing dates back to the 1990s which emerged with the use of the internet and the development of the web platform which allowed people to find the necessary information on what they needed and share it.
Between the years 1994 and 1996, the population of people using the internet went from 16 to 17 million. The number of users continued to increase into the year 2000s where a large number of platforms came onboard.
This allowed companies to promote wholesale changes with the medium by them optimizing their websites to pull high search engine rankings. Digital marketing is also evolving with new customers and demands which has brought a transformation that will continue in 2021.
TYPES OF DIGITAL MARKETING
There are different types of digital marketing that marketers use to advertise their products. They are as follows:
- Search engine optimization
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- Native advertising
- Marketing automation
- Email marketing
- Inbound marketing
- Sponsored content
- Online pr etc.
Search engine optimization
It is the process of enhancing the brand’s website to rank higher on a search engine result page thereby increasing the amount of audience the website receives.
This refers to the creation and promotion of content, assets to generate brand awareness, traffic growth, and customers.
Social media marketing
This practice promotes one’s brand and content of social media channels to achieve the same targets such as generating leads for the business. These channels include LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc.
It is a method used by brands to drive traffic to their website by paying a publisher every time the ad is clicked. One of the most common types of pay-per-click is google ads and other channels include paid ads on Facebook, sponsored messages on LinkedIn, etc.
This is a type of performance-based advertising where one receives a commission for promoting someone else’s product on the website. Affiliate marketing channels include posting affiliate links from a social media account, hosting video ads, etc. to generate leads for the company’s products and services.
This refers to advertising that is primarily content-led and featured on a platform alongside other non-paid content such as Facebook advertising.
It refers to the software that serves to automate basic marketing operations. Many marketing departments can automate repetitive tasks that are done manually otherwise such as email newsletters, social media post scheduling, etc.
Companies use this as a way to communicate with other audiences. Email is mostly used to promote content, discount, and events as well as to direct people towards the business’s website. For example, blog subscription, newsletters, customer welcome emails, etc.
It is a method designed to draw visitors and potential customers in rather than outwardly pushing a brand, product, or service onto the prospects. It simply refers to the marketing methodology where you attract and engage customers at every stage of the buyer’s journey.
Here the brand pays another company to create and promote content that discusses the brand or service provided in some way.
This refers to the use of the internet to reach out to both current and prospecting customers through the use of online communication channels which involve social media, blogs, and websites.
DIGITAL MARKETING AGENCIES IN NIGERIA
Below is a list of credible digital marketing agencies in Nigeria.
- Alternative Advert Ltd
- Wild Fusion
- Odigital Academy
- Prolanz Digital Marketing Agency
- UpperMark Solutions Limited
- Crank Digital Marketing Agency
- The Brand Alley Web Design and Digital Marketing Agency
- TopYouGo Digital Marketing & SEO Agency
- Nerdy Eye
- ZEO Digital Academy etc.
ADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL MARKETING
- Digital marketing saves cost as it is very affordable and it gives an avenue for big and small businesses to use this medium to reach a large-scale audience through the use of social media, blogs, emails, websites, etc.
- Digital marketing makes it easy to keep tabs on the customers through a marketing strategy to track the step-by-step progress made between customers and business owners.
- Digital marketing enhances the credibility of a brand.
- It strengthens the loyalty between customers and the brand with frequent communication.
- It attracts traffic to a brand without having to spend much which makes it profitable.
- It is also suitable for upcoming and already made brands to boost their image.
DISADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL MARKETING
- Digital marketing has a high competition standard put in place which makes brands want to meet up and beat the competitive standard set whereby they beat all odds to stand out and grab the attention of the consumers.
- It also requires a lot of skills and training to make marketing a success. That is, one must have ground knowledge about digital marketing as not to derail the audience.
- It can also be time-consuming because the marketer will use an adequate amount of time to optimize online advertisement campaigns and marketing content to yield positive results.
- negative feedback/criticism of their brand can visibly be seen by other prospective clients/customers through social media and reviews from websites which can damage the way their brand is being perceived.
- In digital marketing, it is prone to negative feedback or criticism of brands which can be visibly seen by other prospective customers through social media and reviews from websites which can damage the brand image or how the brand is perceived.
- It is highly dependable on technology, which is only available to the customers that have access to an online platform there making it unavailable to those who have no access but want to purchase the service.
- The data of customers are at high risk due to the fact it is hard to have personal privacy in the digital world.
In conclusion, what makes the future proof of digital marketing is that some marketing practices will be outdated but the pattern shift will propel businesses to be more personal with their contents as to adapt to new search engine optimization tools and to embrace smart online technologies.
The key now will be to specify trends that can change the digital marketing landscape and influence business position. In 2021 online shopping varies and users prefer the overall approach which has to do with how businesses review emerging trends and approach their target audience for various reasons.
Digital marketing has been through important improvements from social media to search engine optimization which continues to impact lots of users positively.
With more modern tools and operations, digital marketing will continue to encourage companies, organizations, businesses, and brands to step up their competitive drive in the market.
As for now, digital marketing has made it possible for businesses to increase their return on investment and launch the most effective ad campaigns.